Decorating & Furniture/Kitchen flooing and walls

I have ordered maple cabinets in a Dover white color. I have red oak maple flooring in the rest of the downstairs level.  I want to refinish the existing wood floors and add red oak flooring to the kitchen. What color stain should I go with?  My doors, windows and trim are white.  I am going with a counter top called Radiance in Mineral Jet. What should I paint the kitchen walls?  My entry, half bath, living room, dining room, family room, all open to each other. Should I pick a beige and do various shades of it though all the rooms?

Thanks Regina

Hi Regina,

Keep your flooring stain the same throughout. Unless you are planning to strip and re-stain everything, coordinate the kitchen with the rest of the house.  If you're starting from scratch, I'd opt for a medium to dark chocolate stain such as a Walnut.

As for paint color, you do not have to paint everything in beige, but you should select a neutral color that appeals to you and use it throughout the open concept spaces.  You may be happier with a taupe or a grey, but there is a neutral of every color.

If you opt for different shades of color from room to room, just be sure to start and stop one color from the next at a natural break point, i.e., a corner.  

For the kitchen walls, I'd opt for a taupe or grey.  It will look very smart with your cabinets and counter top.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology