Decorating & Furniture/Painting Ideas for a tall room

I have a bathroom that is quite small, 5x9, but has a ceiling height of 14ft with skylights.  I'd like to try and paint it so that the top half is dark, in order to try and %26 make it fade from being to tall.  Would you have a color combo recommendations?  My tile on the floor is a neutral dark gray, tub %26 tiles are ivory-linen colors.  I recall seeing something like this in an older building, and it took away from the height and brought your eye down significantly.  I like greens/blues and more earth-neutrals.  Thanks in advance.

Hi Kathleen,

If you opt to paint, select a medium shade of blue/grey for the top portion to coordinate with your tile.  You can either use a paler shade of the same color for the bottom portion of use a linen shade for the bottom.  

As an alternative, you can achieve the same effect by adding molding at an 8 or 9 foot level all around the room and painting it in an ivory shade of white.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology