Decorating & Furniture/Painting open floor plan.

We are building a new home.  When you stand at the front door you can see the dining room and den, the great room, eating area, kitchen and sunroom.  How should I paint these rooms?  Our kitchen cabinets and woodwork are a medium cherry with beige carpet and tile.  My couch is a medium brownish red leather.  Our wood furniture is a medium oak ( no money to replace right now, they matched our prior home).  I was thinking of a sage green sunroom couch.  Please help

Hi Connie, I would stick to warm toned neutrals for an open concept space.  Most paint colours are shown as a 'family' on a colour fan strip.  Choose a colour that you like and and go two shades lighter or darker on the same  colour strip for paint colours for the remaining rooms.  If your cabinets are a medium cherry colour than I would suggest going on the lighter side, for the paint colour. As you have a lot of space to cover, depending on how the colour fan is arranged for your particular brand of paint, you may even be able to select a colour from the two strips on either side of it.  As long as they are generally in the same colour 'family', it won't break up your space too much and will create a flow throughout.

I also offer an 'Ask the Decorator' service on my website. I would be happy to be of further assistance to you if needed.
Thank you, for your time.

Shamim Razvi
The Eighth Haven

Decorating & Furniture

Shamim Razvi

I can answer anything in general about decorating, i.e. Space planning,colour co-ordinating, furniture placement, choosing the most suitable accessories,fabrics,lighting, window, wall and floor treatments. I cannot answer questions about structural or architectural changes.

I have been decorating for the past five years and running my own decorating business: The Eighth Haven,, for over a year.

I am a graduate of QC Design School, in the field of Professional Design and Decorating as a certified Interior Decorator and Professional Colour Consultant.