Decorating & Furniture/accent color for living room

We are putting together our living room, there are several different colors going on.  We have high ceilings in the living room. The dining room and two walls in the living room are a spiced pumpkin, we have an accent wall that is a cayenne pepper color and the wall going up the steps is a medium moss green.  You can see the green wall from the living room as well as the hallway upstairs which is also green.  I love the way the walls look, but now am not sure how to decorate??  I have furniture coming which is a moss green color, an oversized couch and chair with an ottoman. A TV console which is a dark wood, almost black, and we have a dark brown bamboo roman shade on the front window. The woodwork in the room is dark brown. I'm afraid I have too many colors going on.  Should any tables in the room also be black or dark wood?  Not sure what the style I am going for.....seems like an Asian contemporary look?  Any suggestions for completing the room? The dimensions of the room are approximately 12' x 16'.  thanks for your help.

Hi Beth,

Your living room sounds contemporary for sure.  The accent wall is in the same color family as the dining room and the color opposite (green) is used for the stairway wall.  It all sounds wonderful to me.  

Your furniture will bring out the green and pull that color down into the living space, which is a good thing.  Using dark wood in the space may appear too heavy. If you want to lighten that feeling while maintaining your contemporary style, consider acrylic or glass tables.  I'd also offer one other change - the dark bamboo roman shade on the front window will again make the room appear too dark.  Look for a lighter window covering to let the light in and show off your fabulous color choices.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology