Decorating & Furniture/accent wall.

Hi Jenny. I have a pretty big bedroom (17 ft X 11 ft) and right now it is just a plain beige color. I am thinking of painting it a nice light pink color with a deep brown accent wall. When you walk in all you see is a long wall, and same with the two side walls (my room is pretty plain right now, i wanna jazz it up a bit!) and on the wall with my door, there are my sliding closet mirrors. I was wondering where you think i should put the accent wall? I was considering putting it on the wall with the door and the mirrors because that wall is more busy but I've read all over that you should put the accent wall on the wall that you see when you first walk in the room. What do you think I should do? And if you dont agree with the accent wall color, what color would you suggest? Thanks.

Hi Robyn,

The focal wall is the first one you see when you enter the room, and hopefully that's the room your bed is against.  That wall should receive any special color treatment.  

I love the idea of accenting one wall, and chocolate brown is a popular choice.  My concern is in painting the other three walls light pink.  That's a very feminine color and unless you live alone it may not be the best choice.  

Consider using a pale blue, i.e., turquoise.  That, paired with dark brown is a very smart combination.  I would also consider using a taupe shade for the three walls, paired with the brown which would allow you to add PINK (or turquoise) in accessories.  That would be a very smart look as well.

Thank you for writing and for your question.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology