Decorating & Furniture/ceiling fans

Question
I'm purchasing ceiling fans for my bedrooms. I've been advised that the fan should not be the "focal point" of the room. I have average size bedrooms, i.e. 10' W x 10' L to 16' W x 12' L. Since my ceilings are painted white I've been advised to get white fans. The walls are all a beige/tan color. I was thinking brown fans. Please don't say it's a personal choice. I want to make the right decorating choice. Is there a rule on this?

Answer
Hi Liz, More importantly than the colour of the fans is the style.  Also depending on whether or not you have a theme in your room, you may or may not want the fan to stand out.  For example, if you have a tropical themed room, you would want the fan to play a big part in the room.  If your bedrooms or more contemporary in stlye, choose fans that have clean lines and are less intricate.  You would want to do the opposite for a more traditionally styled space.  
There is no rule on what the colour of ceiling fans should be, as with all elements in a well decorated space, they should tie in with your overall colour scheme and stlye.

I also offer an 'Ask the Decorator' service on my website. I would be happy to be of further assistance to you if needed.
Thank you, for your time.

Shamim Razvi
The Eighth Haven
www.eighthaven.com

Decorating & Furniture

Shamim Razvi