Decorating & Furniture/dusty rose carpets

Question
I have rose colored carpets, which I can't change right now, in my frontroom/dining room. Have painted the walls a brown with pink undertones, it actually tones down the pink in the carpet. I have two large windows which I would like to curtain, but can't decide on color. My couch and chair is beige leather and all wood furniture is a dark walnut, firplace and trim is white.The pink carpet and beige furniture do nothing for the room.

Answer
Hi Bonnie,

Thanks for your question.  

I have first-hand experience with rose colored carpet. I was at the same juncture as you - unable to replace and forced to "make it work".  Here are some suggestions for you.  

First of all, if you can afford a large area rug (say at least 5 x 7 or 8 x 10) purchase one. That will cover a good amount of the carpet in your front room.  You can place your furniture so that it just touches the edges of the rug which will cover even more of the carpeting.  Purchase the rug in a white or off-white, or even a dark brown.  Make sure it's a solid color so that you have more opportunity for accessories.  

Next, for the draperies, I'd opt for dark, chocolate brown solid drapes.  Make sure they go from the top of the windows to the floor and hang them on simple rods.  Then purchase a few toss pillows for the couch in the same chocolate brown.  Add one more color to the mix - rose if you choose - for toss pillows (no more than a couple). Voila!  You've toned down the carpet, added your window treatments and created a room that's coordinated and will work for you.  

If you find economically priced rugs (Home Depot comes to mind) you may want to do the same for your dining room.  Depending on the size of your table, you may need to purchase a larger rug to accomplish the same thing.  Window treatments for the dining room should "coordinate" with the front room, but do not have to be the same.  You may want to lighten the drapery color and add a sheer window treatment underneath.

Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik