Decorating & Furniture/fireplace mantel

fireplace pic
fireplace pic  
The mantel on my fireplace runs the entire length of the wall.  It has bookshelves on either side with windows above.  I am replacing the exsisting mirror above the fireplace with a smaller framed mirror but I dont know what to do with the rest of the mantel.  Any suggestions?

Hi Sondra,

Here are my thoughts on the mantel area along with suggestions.  Changing the mirror is a huge part of the update and I'm glad you have opted to do that.  I'd also replace the sheer curtains with blinds for a cleaner, updated look.  Consider updating the fireplace box by painting it out.  The contrast between the shelves and the brick surround is severe.  Once that's done, I'd beef up the mantel by adding combination molding to the area that is immediately around the firebox, giving it more presence and structure.  

Thanks for writing and for your photo!

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology