Decorating & Furniture/If red rug goes with dark brown sofa

selecting right rug
selecting right rug  
I don't know if this red and black color goes with my brown sofa,light brown tiles and creamyellow walls.I want to bring more color to the room and want to use a dark color rug.Will dark brown rug with designs do instead of red one.I also want to paint one wall by the fireplace in same room but don't know which color to choose without making the room too dark.

Hi Christine,

The rug you have in the photo is "ok" with the sofas and floor.  Red works well with the brown tones, but a chocolate brown rug with bright colors (reds, yellows, blues, greens) would also work well.  

Check out's rug selections.  Their prices are reasonable and there's a lot to choose from.  

As for the accent wall, you may want to consider chocolate brown, OR white if your fireplace is dark.

Thanks for writing and for your question!

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology