Decorating & Furniture/what size rug?

Hi, Jenny,
I have a 42" square kitchen table and 4 chairs.  I need an area rug to put under it...I think 7 x 7 square would be ideal, but they are hard to find.  I have found an 8 x 8 octagon size at, I am not you think it would be too big?
What size would you recommend?
I do have several leafs for the table, but don't use them often, only when company comes.  This is an antique table.
Thank you so much!

Hi Brenda,

Thanks for writing.  The smallest rug you would want to use is a 5x7, best size is 8x10 so that all chairs can sit on the rug.  The 8x8 octagon will work as well.  

You may also want to check out the rugs at  

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology