Decorating & Furniture/Would a solid rug work better with furniture with a floral pattern?

Hi! We just got a chair and ottoman reupholstered with a floral pattern:

Paltrow Sapphire

When the pieces were placed back in our living room, they seem to look odd with the rug we have in place. Here is the rug:

Brandie Area Rug

Are we wrong? We are thinking we need a new solid blue rug. What do you think?

Here is a picture of the pieces all together:

You might notice on the far right of the image, is an wall that is blue, this is why we went with a blue rug. Two opposite walls in this room are blue.

Thanks for the detail and photos - it makes answering so much easier.  

The Paltrow Sapphire fabric is beautiful.  The Brandie Area Rug is beautiful as well, but does not work with this furniture arrangement.  IF - that's a big if - the chair and ottoman could be separated from the sofa by a distance, it "could" work.  The ottoman sitting on the rug does not work.  

The short answer is opt for a solid blue or at least a 90% blue with a taupe or grey border.  

The key to mixing patterns is this:  All colors within one pattern Must Be in the 2nd pattern, and the sizes of the patterns must be different.  I see where you were going, but this doesn't work.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology