Decorating & Furniture/Lounge furniture

I have quite a large lounge with a fireplace at one end and TV at the other. There are full length windows and doors on one side and a wide open hall area to the other with a front door.  We are trying to arrange/buy sofas to optimise space - my husband wants to be able to eat and watch TV, and we want to watch tv without twisting to see the screen.  This is proving frustrating!  Any ideas?

Hi Penny,

You present a common problem, particularly when it comes to competing focal points in a room.  Since your fireplace (the natural focal point) is on one wall and the television (a second focal point) is on the opposite wall, I can suggest the following which will accomplish what your question presents.

Purchase a matching pair of swivel chairs and position them opposite the largest couch.  You can use ottomans for both pieces which would act as another surface area (cocktail/coffee table) or use a traditional table.  The swivel allows you to view either the television OR the fireplace all the while balancing the furniture arrangement.  

This will hopefully help you solve the dilema.  Thanks for writing and for your question.  

Jennifer(Jenny) Wojcik
Author, "From Day One"
National Release Date:  10/26/10

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology