Decorating & Furniture/large room design

My living room dining room and kitchen are one large space.  The ceilings are A-framed up to 28 feet. The ceilings, trim, and cabinets are golden pecan stained knotty pine.  My furniture is rustic wooden and brown.  My carpet is neutral brown.  My fireplace is very large made of grey stone with touches of cream... which is also what my exterior is rocked in and my island bar in the kitchen.  The tile in the kitchen and dining is a grey color that is similar to the rock.  My bar and counter tops are Rosa Bonita granite.  My home is generally decorated in a Texas theme or southwest.  Lots of windows. But my walls are a plain neutral creamy white.  I don't know what color or colors to paint them.  I love bright and bold colors but the walls are so expansive I am afraid to overwhelm when you walk into the room.  Also, they have a heavy Spanish drag texture, which makes wallpaper or painting straight lines very difficult.  I want to paint and or stain the walls with an accent color to bring it all together.

Thanks for writing and for your question.  I would first of all urge you to forget about wallpapering.  Not only would you have to remove all the texture, then prep the walls, wallpaper eventually has to be removed, and it's not an easy task.

Painting is the way to go.  I would suggest your decision lies in using a neutral color like taupe (it combines the tans and greys# and adding splashes of bold colors with accessories, or using a bold wall color like aubergine (eggplant) and accessorizing with whites and creams with a few eggplant colored pieces to pull the wall to the space.  If you have lots of windows and expansive ceilings, you could use the darker hues that you seem to prefer.

Hope this helps you,

Jennifer (Jenny) Wojcik
Author, "From Day One"
Available 10/26/10 - Bookstores nationwide and Amazon

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology