Decorating & Furniture/Color dilema

Question
Dear Jennifer,
I have 2 kids ages 5 and 2 so I decided to change my furniture to accommodate them. I just got a black leather sofa set. I have 2 black shelves(not decorated), 2 shaggy rugs, one with cream, orange and Burgundy stripes and another one in brown color (gifts from friends). Considering the fact that I love colors, I am wondering what color(s) to paint the walls, what color of curtain to buy and which of the shaggy rugs to pick. A section of the living room is used as the dining area (with no clear demarcation), can i use red dining chairs or should I stick with black? The room is 10 meters long and 5 meters wide.  

Answer
Hi Kay,

Thanks for writing.  I'd opt for a taupe or khaki wall color to offset all the black that you have going on.  Either of those colors will enhance the black furniture and will allow you to add another splash of color, i.e., either the burgundy or the orange that's in the rug.  

Using the rug in brown won't look as good with your black leather, so perhaps you could use it in another room.  

Going with the cream, orange and burgundy rug gives you the option to pull all those colors into the living and dining space with ease.  Consider using the burgundy for the dining chairs, or even the cream.  It will look smart and stylish.

Jennifer Wojcik
Author, From Day One

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik