Decorating & Furniture/Contrasting colors

We will be installing light knotty pine walls in our bathroom.  We also fell in love with a dark cherry wood vanity and floor Linen closet.  Will these colors clash or do you think they will compliment one another?  There is a white washer/dryer, toilet, and shower, with mauve carpet.  I need all the input I can get.  Thank you.

Hi Linda,

Thanks for choosing me as your expert!

Knotty pine tends to lean toward a yellowish tone.  It would work with the cherry vanity because that leans toward a red tone and is another primary color.  The thing that concerns me is the mauve carpeting.  That may lean toward pink OR purple depending on the exact shade.  You may want to consider removing the carpet and using a cherry flooring.  Carpeting in baths have proven to be problematic.  If/when you have a leak, they're history.

Hope this info helps you.

Jennifer Wojcik
Author, From Day One

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology