Decorating & Furniture/Couch

Room picture
Room picture  
I am looking into getting a new couch & basically adding style to my living room (which you will tell from the picture my kids have taken over!) Currently my walls are painted yellow, I have medium grey carpet, and my picture frames are black. I have medium colored (kind of a carmel) wood fireplace and entertainment center. The trim is white. I am struggling to figure out what color couch I should get and color accent pillows.  In addition, I have want to put up window treatments on a big window. I have white trim on it with white blinds, but no drapes of any kind. Suggestions on style and color would be helpful.  My style in general tends to be contemporary with a bit of casual- (hate country & modern though).  Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated!  

Thanks for your question and for choosing me as your expert.

When purchasing big ticket items like furniture, neutral and solid colors are always recommended.  As your family grows and your tastes change or develop, your ability to change the "look" of your space is easier and more economical with neutral and solid colors.  

If you like leather, consider that as an option here.  It wears well, stands up to kids and or pets, and is always in style.  A chocolate brown, a grey or even black would work well here.  I hesitate to recommend a tan because of the wall color, but were that to change to a taupe or camel brown, you could use the tan leather.

Accent colors based on your current wall/carpet tones would be brick shades of red, cranberry reds, some deep shades of green, and of course white. Toss pillows are a great way to drop in pops of color; just make sure they are tailored (no fringe or other trims).  

Should you change your wall color to a khaki, tan or taupe, you could combine the same accent colors, and you would have a more unified look.  The grey carpet, yellow wall combination doesn't work well here.  Hope this helps you.

Jennifer Wojcik
Author, From Day One
Available now at Amazon and at your favorite bookstore

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology