Decorating & Furniture/Rug or Furniture first?

I have a 1960 ranch house all brick.  The living room flows into the dinning room in the form of an L shape with a hall way going back to the bed rooms.  I have a sisal rug in the dinning room with original 1955 modern Scandinavian type furniture.  I have not done anything to the living room.  I love the Pottery Barn look and am interested in one of their choc. brown/cream oriental rugs(Brandon style) and also love their Seagrass collection (dark brown) of wing back chairs. I buy the rug first then the furniture to match or buy the furniture I love and then the rug to match. Is this too much brown?  I find decorating very taxing.  Thank you for your help.

Hi Dorothy,

Always select your big ticket items first, then add accessories.  It's much easier to find an accessory, like a rug that coordinates, than settling for furniture that you don't love.

Brown coordinates with virtually every other color, so don't worry about coordinating these pieces.  

Thanks so much for selecting me as your expert!

Jennifer Wojcik, Author
From Day One
Available at or  

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology