Decorating & Furniture/Turning 950sqft basement into a new living space

First, thanks for your time. I have been finishing my basement and have
everything furniture, tile and wood floors down. The paint Is where I'm lost.  
First half of the floor is in a porcelain tile with gray, browns and orange in
it. The wood flooring will either light or an exotic with lighter grain
highlights. I have a vino colored leather couch and loveseat. A cherry
fireplace( electric) with the same color slate as my tile. I thought we would
do a tangerine cream paint on the walls with cream trim, I'm not so sure
now. I know want the space to seem bright and cheery, but I don't want
something that won't look good with the rest.  Any input would be greatly
appreciated. I can change only the wood and paint color, everything else
is already done. Thank you

Hi Troy,

Thanks for selecting me as your expert.

Your question is a good one, and while I love tangerine as a wall color, I think it might compete too much with your cherry and the wine colored leather furniture.  A better choice would be a khaki or taupe.  I'm partial to Glidden's Toasty Grey (taupe) because it combines the best of the greys and the browns and acts as a beautiful backdrop.

I'd keep the trim in a bright glossy white for reflective value as well as brightness.

Jennifer Wojcik
Author, "From Day One"  

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology