Decorating & Furniture/livingroom wall color

The couch
The couch  
We live in a rental but plan on staying for another 5 years or so. So we splurged and bought a custom sectional so that we can enjoy the space more. It is a medium grey with light bluish hues. Most of our furniture is wood with walnut color stain. The carpet (which I hate) has warm tones. I need to figure out what color to put on the walls, crown molding, high base boards and the door frames as well as finding a area rug that will help bring it all together. Sick of racking my brain at this point. HELP ME PLEASE!!

Hi Jessica,

Thanks for the question on color.  

The couch is a great choice; neutral but interesting in color and style.  

Wall color can be anything from browns to reds.  If you're dealing with a carpet color you aren't happy with, you can either exaggerate it (take the same color to the wall) or disguise it (with a large area rug).  

I'd suggest a medium shade of taupe or grey for the walls.  My favorite is Glidden's Toasty Grey and I've painted the world with it.  It's a terrific color used in combination with greys, blues, blacks and most wood tones.  Another choice is a smokey grey which will bring out the grey tone in the sofa as well as tone down the carpet.  

Trims and moldings should be painted white or off-white, or can be stained.  Regardless, door trims, base boards and moldings should all be the same.

Check out for great area rugs at great prices that will help pull all the colors you choose together.

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik
Author, From Day One

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology