Decorating & Furniture/pillows

I have a vast array of pillows for both of our couches, love them, but how do
you arrange pillows of various colors and textures, is there a rule of thumb for
that? I am not real traditional, but most of my things say traditional!  I like to
try  some new ideas concerning decorating with pillows,  any thoughts?

Hi Andrea,

Thank you for selecting me as your expert.  

Typically, toss pillows are arranged the same on both couch (or couches) and/or loveseat i.e., plaid, stripe, solid, floral etc.  As long as the order is the same, the sequence doesn't matter.  

If you want to shake things up, do it with color.  Traditional says plaid or floral, contemporary says bold color, and ecclectic says both!  Try mixing in some coordinating color, or a new shocking color that hasn't been used in the space previously.  As long as it coordinates with the base color it will work.  

Remember, stripes and florals work well as long as they have the same colors in them.

Hope this helps.

Jennifer Wojcik
Author, From Day One

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology