Decorating & Furniture/Do windows and trim have to match kitchen cabinets?

Question
We have recently got new oak cabinets in our kitchen.  They are a medium to slightly dark color. We are also replacing the trim on the windows and the floor boards.  Is it OK to have the windows and floor boards a light natural color while the cabinets are darker?  We will stain one window to match the trim and a bay window we will have to strip and stain.  The old wood color is very old and I want to lighten up the kitchen so all the wood is not so dark. Please give me some tips so we can make it look nice.  

Answer
Hi Cheryl,

Thanks for selecting me as your expert.

There is no design rule about matching cabinets to window trims and moldings.  As a matter of fact, if there were a rule, it would be the opposite.

Trims and moldings, including built-in shelves, should be the same from room to room, i.e., all painted OR all stained.  

Moldings and trims are contrasting in color - by design.

Having said all that, I would paint the trims and moldings in a bright white which will accomplish all that you want.

Jennifer Wojcik
Author, From Day One

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik