Decorating & Furniture/Den Dilemna

Couch Fabric
Couch Fabric  
I've one large, seemingly insurmountable problem.  My den at present is presently a floor plan problem.  I've included a link to a room planner which I've been working with.  It depicts the actual room space size with two  openings from both the living room and the kitchen, diagonal fireplace of river rock ( which you use on a regular basis), and sliding doors along one wall. All measurements are exact.  The furniture pieces, couch and 2 swivel chairs are mine, but are replaceable if a plan should not include them. I've attached a picture of my living room sofa to give you and idea for color flow.  The two rooms are visible simultaneously since they are adjacent.  I've been working on this arrangement for what seems like an eternity and I have as yet not come up with a workable resolution. I'm remain hopeful, and am quite eager to hear your ideas.

Hi Eileen,

Thanks for selecting me as your expert.  I have reviewed your floor plan and must congratulate you on using such a program to outline your room.  

Having said that, there is really only one suggestion that I would make; move the couch/rug/chair combination a foot or so forward (toward the fireplace).  That extra foot will still provide a comfortable walking space between the fireplace and the furniture grouping, and will give an additional foot or so for utilizing the sliding glass door.  

The angle is perfect and having the furniture centered on the fireplace is the logical and most elegant arrangement.  

Your couch fabric is conducive to warm tones of browns, tans and taupes, and with the red tones in the fabric, you can easily coordinate accessories.

Looks as though you didn't need me after all, but thanks for writing and for your question.  Keep up the good work.  

Jennifer Wojcik, Author
From Day One
Available at or

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology