Decorating & Furniture/Furniture color

I have brentwood mahagony color sofa set in my family room. The breakfast nook also has same color dining table. The Tv stand in the family room is oak color. Is this good combination? Do I have to change the TV stand or can I do something to the family room in terms of decor so the Tv stand will not look out of place? Thanks for your help.

Hi Sujatha,

Thanks for writing me and for your question.  The TV stand being a different wood tone will stand out and if that bothers you perhaps you should look into staining the piece to a darker, redder shade to better coordinate with your furniture.  

If the stand is wooden, you can sand it, wipe off excess dust and then stain the piece.  If it isn't solid wood, you may have to prep the surface by sanding and dusting, then apply a primer (Kilz or Benz) followed by a paint.  

The easy way out of this dilemma is to ignore the difference realizing that everything doesn't have to exactly match.  You could also add other pieces of oak to the space so that the two wood tones look intentional.

Jennifer Wojcik, Author
From Day One
Available at amazon.cmo or

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology