Decorating & Furniture/Furniture color

Question
I have brentwood mahagony color sofa set in my family room. The breakfast nook also has same color dining table. The Tv stand in the family room is oak color. Is this good combination? Do I have to change the TV stand or can I do something to the family room in terms of decor so the Tv stand will not look out of place? Thanks for your help.

Answer
Hi Sujatha,

Thanks for writing me and for your question.  The TV stand being a different wood tone will stand out and if that bothers you perhaps you should look into staining the piece to a darker, redder shade to better coordinate with your furniture.  

If the stand is wooden, you can sand it, wipe off excess dust and then stain the piece.  If it isn't solid wood, you may have to prep the surface by sanding and dusting, then apply a primer (Kilz or Benz) followed by a paint.  

The easy way out of this dilemma is to ignore the difference realizing that everything doesn't have to exactly match.  You could also add other pieces of oak to the space so that the two wood tones look intentional.

Jennifer Wojcik, Author
From Day One
Available at amazon.cmo or bn.com

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik