Decorating & Furniture/Furniture color for living room with dark floors

Hi Jennifer,
I would like to get new living room furniture but I'm not sure what color the upholstery should be.  I have wood floors that are dark with an orangy tone that match the brick fireplace.  Three of the walls are off white and one of the walls is a light green (kind of a mossy shade).
I have a rug but the rug could be replaced (I don't want to make this decision based on the rug).
The living room is what they call a great room, with high ceilings.
I was thinking that a light color for the furniture would lighten up the room (since it has dark floors and the fireplace).
Any ideas or suggestions?
Thanks in advance,

Hi Genie,

Thanks for selecting me as your expert.  

Whether you go light, medium or dark with your furniture, keep it in a solid color, or at least such a minute pattern that it "appears" solid.  By doing that, you can take the accessories in a zillion different directions that may change with your mood or season.  Keeping big ticket items neutral is the way to go.

Having said that, if you can accomodate a lighter tone in either upholstery or leather, it will lighten up the space.  

I agree about the rug - those are economically changed.  Go with a color that you love for the furniture and you'll never regret your decision.

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik, Author
From Day One or

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology