Decorating & Furniture/living area dilema

Question
I moved into an apt. it has a burnt orange accent wall in the living room that I am not allowed to change.  The living area is open to the kitchen which has black/stainless appliances and cherry cabinetry.  The whole area has light laminate flooring. I own a dark gray sofa and a black tv stand; they are not great in the space but I need to keep them. I need chairs and a rug, and everything else for this space, but I do not have any idea about how to tie it all together without it looking like halloween!  HELP

Answer
Hi Bonnie,

There are a couple of things you can do economically.  First, consider slipcovering your sofa to a white/off-white.  Great deals can be found on fitted slipcovers at Bed, Bath & Beyond, Target, or online.  If white/off-white doesn't appeal to you, consider a dark chocolate brown.

Another option is to maintain the dark gray sofa and purchase an inexpensive pair of gently used chairs and slipcover them in the same or a similar gray.  That will look purposeful and intentional, and you can get some great bargains through used and thrift store sales.

Keep the black tv stand, and opt for either cherry toned tables or white.  That ties everything in the space together.  You could even tie in the burnt orange wall by adding a couple of accessories in that very color; again that looks intentional.

Hope this helps you.

Jennifer Wojcik, Author
From Day One
amazon.com or bn.com  

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik