Decorating & Furniture/living area dilema

I moved into an apt. it has a burnt orange accent wall in the living room that I am not allowed to change.  The living area is open to the kitchen which has black/stainless appliances and cherry cabinetry.  The whole area has light laminate flooring. I own a dark gray sofa and a black tv stand; they are not great in the space but I need to keep them. I need chairs and a rug, and everything else for this space, but I do not have any idea about how to tie it all together without it looking like halloween!  HELP

Hi Bonnie,

There are a couple of things you can do economically.  First, consider slipcovering your sofa to a white/off-white.  Great deals can be found on fitted slipcovers at Bed, Bath & Beyond, Target, or online.  If white/off-white doesn't appeal to you, consider a dark chocolate brown.

Another option is to maintain the dark gray sofa and purchase an inexpensive pair of gently used chairs and slipcover them in the same or a similar gray.  That will look purposeful and intentional, and you can get some great bargains through used and thrift store sales.

Keep the black tv stand, and opt for either cherry toned tables or white.  That ties everything in the space together.  You could even tie in the burnt orange wall by adding a couple of accessories in that very color; again that looks intentional.

Hope this helps you.

Jennifer Wojcik, Author
From Day One or  

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology