Decorating & Furniture/bed placement

I bought new bedroom furniture and have a question about the placement of the bed. It doesn't look right in the same place that the old bed was. The room is 11' wide and 13' long with a window on the opposite wall from where you walk into the room.By placing the headboard in front of the window you see the footboard and the headboard with the window behind, you can still see more than half of the window. This arrangement seems to look and balance the best to me but is it a decorating no no to partially cover the window like that? thanks

Hi Richard, Don't worry about covering the window.  The bed is the largest piece of furniture in the room so placing it the most practical spot is the first decision you have to make, other elements in the room after that can be worked around.  
If the window is partially covered, try not to bring too much attention to it.  Stick to a very simple window treatment, and focus on the bed with a beautiful bed dressing with lots of pillows, textures and patterned fabrics.

I also offer an 'Ask the Decorator' service on my website. I would be happy to be of further assistance to you if needed.
Thank you, for your time.

Shamim Razvi
The Eighth Haven

Decorating & Furniture

Shamim Razvi

I can answer anything in general about decorating, i.e. Space planning,colour co-ordinating, furniture placement, choosing the most suitable accessories,fabrics,lighting, window, wall and floor treatments. I cannot answer questions about structural or architectural changes.

I have been decorating for the past five years and running my own decorating business: The Eighth Haven,, for over a year.

I am a graduate of QC Design School, in the field of Professional Design and Decorating as a certified Interior Decorator and Professional Colour Consultant.