Decorating & Furniture/Floor Coloring

We are looking to redo our kitchen floor and are looking for something that will stand up to four dogs.  We have honey maple cabinets and black granite countertops.  We are considering laminate, vinyl (looks like hardwood) and tile.  If we were to go with tile. What color tile do we want to go with? Would a light tile be over powered by the countertops and look off balance? Should we go with a darker colored tile? Do you recommend the hard wood look a like vinyls.  Can they really look that good?

Hi Pat,

Laminate would be a good choice, but be sure to purchase high pressure laminate (HPL). It will stand up to the doggies better. Tile is also very durable but can be cold and hard underfoot. Kitchens get messy so I wouldn't want to go with too light a tile and grout. Also, I think a darker might work better with your black granite. Slate would look beautiful with the combo you've mentioned. However, it can be quite expensive. I have seen slate-look vinyl, though. I don't care for the wood-like vinyl.

Best of luck to you and your doggies.

Yours for a luxe life,
Susan Matthews

Decorating & Furniture

Susan Matthews

I'm here to help you create a luxe look by making the most of any room within any budget. I welcome questions about furniture placement, colors, style, accessories and more.

I am a guest host and lifestyle expert for QVC - the premier home shopping network. I'm trained in redesign which entails using what you already own to create a new look. I own Decorvention - a redesign company based in the Philadelphia area. My articles have been published in national and regional publications.

Philadelphia Style, Glamour, Success, Las Vegas Life and Style, Medical Life, Philadelphia Weddings and The Philadelphia Inquirer.

BA in Communications from Temple University and redesign certification from Temple University.

Philadelphia Press Award Marcom Award Writer's Digest Awards

Available upon request.