Decorating & Furniture/Paint in Open Concept

Question
Hello,
We have an open concept kitchen/dining room/living room. The kitchen & dining room are basically divided only by an island of about 5 feet wide, and share the same flooring. They are separated from the living room only by the couch, and the flooring in the living room is different as well. The living room shares the same floor as the hallway. What we want to do is paint. We have the intention to use 3 different colours, and we are looking at earth tones. One for the kitchen & dining room, one for the living room and a 3rd for the hallway (hallway is basically attached to the living room.
What 3 colours would you suggest and would you suggest a 4th for the window/door frames? If you also have ideas for accessories, I'm all ears!
Thanks so much!
Paul

Answer
Neutral Earth tones will flow very smoothly from room to room. Some are warm based (with red undertones) and some are cool based (blue undertones). When you are looking at color swatches be sure to choose three colors from the same family. Make sure there is at least two shades between each choice or the color change might not be detectable from room to room. I would paint all of the trim a fourth color to bring some unification to the open space and tie it all together. I'm partial to the traditional white or ivory, but another neutral Earth tone would work well. Hope that helps.

Yours for a luxe life,
Susan Matthews
http://www.theluxelady.com

Decorating & Furniture

Susan Matthews