Decorating & Furniture/family room redecoration

Question
picture1
picture1  
I have attached some pictures of the room that we have problems with. It is a 16X22 rectangle with 10 foot ceilings. The opening to the room is large double doors opposite the fireplace. This leaves about 6-7 feet on either side of the doors  This is the furniture that they had before we bought the large couch is curved. the room  is 16 feet doors to fireplace X22 feet wall to windows and patio doors. The problems are functional - with 8 people in the room it is difficult to have a conversation as you have to shout from 1 side 22 feet From a tv point of view the room has no direct seats in front of the tv if it is over the fireplace.
      fireplace
   ______tv______
  .          patio doors
16.          .
ft.          ,  
  ._____doors____    

We do not have furniture yet nor a tv so we are quite amenable to moving things around including put in a projector tv on the big flat wall if this makes sense
we want conversation space and head on tv space

suggestions

Answer
I would put a projector TV on the big flat wall and bring a sectional sofa into the room and onto the carpet. Situate an upholstered swivel arm chair opposite the sofa but not blocking view (can be turned easily for tv viewing.) A large coffee table or ottoman with tray will anchor the seating area in front of the fire place. Ottomans are great because they offer double duty as extra seating. Seating furniture placed flush against walls rarely works.

Yours for a luxe life,
Susan Matthews  

Decorating & Furniture

Susan Matthews