Decorating & Furniture/I need help please....I need to arrange a small L-shaped living/dining room

Question
living room design
living room design  
Hello:  I am hoping you can help.  I have an L-shaped small living/dining room.  I hoping you can picture this...  The dining room is 8' long and 8'2" wide which is attached to the living room which is 16'6" x 12' width.  I am attaching a drawing with measurements.  Hopefully it is clear for you.
I'm wanting to buy new furniture, but am not sure what to buy.  My thought is along the 20'4" wall in the living room I would like to center my electric fireplace which is white flanking it with two comfortable chairs only (facing the front door) because that wall is very cold in the winter, so by putting the fireplace there, it might warm it up.  My other thought is to put our TV above the fireplace on the wall to gain more floor space.  I'm not really certain if the TV would be too high.  Would a sectional be good in this area.  This is our only living room in our house so we watch a lot of TV so it has to be comfortable.  I would also like it to be as elegant as possible that it makes a statement.  Can you help??

Answer
Hi Fern,

You've given this a lot of thought and it looks like you're on the right path. Normally, I prefer to have TVs at eye level from a sitting position. However, hanging it above the fireplace does give you the best use of space given the room layout and provides a good focal point for the room. I like the idea of a sectional in this space, too. Since this is a high use room, look for a durable fabric such as a microfiber in a velvet-like texture. Make your statement with throw pillows in accent colors. Just be sure that the furniture is in proper scale to the room. Be sure to measure all furniture before purchase. When considering items, I find it helpful to use masking tape to mark the space in the room that will be taken. One of the biggest mistakes I find is over-sized furniture jammed into small rooms. The space then seems crowded instead of restful. Best of luck and enjoy your room.

Yours for a luxe life,
Susan
www.theluxelady.com

Decorating & Furniture

Susan Matthews