Decorating & Furniture/1 red, 1 white couch... need help

I have a bright red leather couch (with metal tabs on back and sides) and a solid white couch (polyester). Furniture is dark brown (wallunit, coffee table, lamps). I have a lazy boy chair that I plan to recover. What color should I do it? What type of material do you recommend? Do I need to add anything else to the room in order to complete it, or bring it together (such as pillows with pattern, or area rug)??

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated?

Thank you

Hi Jacqueline,

Thanks for your question.  

My best suggestion to tie the room together is to purchae a cover for the red couch (in white) and cover the recliner in the same fabric.  (If you opt to leave the couch red, then coordinate the recliner cover with the red.  Add red toss pillows to the white couch and white/red pillows to the red to coordinate.)

Add a third color to the space - either chocolate brown or a vivid green (the color opposite of red).  Bring all 3 colors together in an area rug, draperies and/or pillows.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology