Decorating & Furniture/Bathroom color combos

My grandmother wants to renovate her bathroom.  I'd like to keep the tub and sink that are older, pastel blue fixtures.  I'd like to add a tile shower surround, and tile floor, but paint the majority of the room.  What would be good color combinations to use with the blue tub?  And avoid getting too Eastery?

Hi Jay,

If you want to maintain the blue fixtures, then you should incorporate that same shade in the tile shower surround that you add.  I'd recommend an off-white/ecru tile interspersed with blue tile (perhaps glass tile?) and then paint the room in a soft taupe.  

Thanks for writing and for your questions.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology