Decorating & Furniture/Color Palette

I have an open floor plan on the main floor which allows you to view the living room, dining room and kitchen all in the same outlook. A lot of the textures in the different rooms aren't really coordinated (just moved in). Reddish oak wood flooring throughout, honey maple kitchen cabinets, charcoal/granite counter tops with black appliances, the dining room has dark cherry furniture with red/orange accent items and the living room has light taupe couches/chairs, maple tables with glass tops (all ikea styles). I have 2 questions, with open floor plans is it common/ok to have such different experiences in the adjacent spaces and secondly, Im having a hard time coming up with a color palette for pillows/throws in the living room. I had wanted to keep it fresh and airy with leaf greens/sands & possibly an orange or yellow color for pop, but would a darker brown/maroon/orange scheme work better to continue the darker themes from the other spaces on the main floor and still look ok on the really light couches?

Hi Steve, For open concept homes, it is best to contrasts to a minimal.  Based on what you have told me try to bring more harmony to the space; stick with your existing colours and don't bring in any more new ones.  I would suggest the darker richer tones for pillows and throws, maybe a fabric that has these colours but also a touch of the taupe from the couches and chairs.  Also try and find a rug that will also help tie in the colours.  

I also offer an 'Ask the Decorator' service on my website. I would be happy to be of further assistance to you if needed.
Thank you, for your time.

Shamim Razvi
The Eighth Haven

Decorating & Furniture

Shamim Razvi

I can answer anything in general about decorating, i.e. Space planning,colour co-ordinating, furniture placement, choosing the most suitable accessories,fabrics,lighting, window, wall and floor treatments. I cannot answer questions about structural or architectural changes.

I have been decorating for the past five years and running my own decorating business: The Eighth Haven,, for over a year.

I am a graduate of QC Design School, in the field of Professional Design and Decorating as a certified Interior Decorator and Professional Colour Consultant.