Decorating & Furniture/Flooring Colors

We purchased a house a few years ago and we are getting ready to replace the flooring. My husband and I agree that we would like to replace the vinyl flooring and carpet on the first floor with wood. My question is what color of wood would look good with dark cherry colored stained trim and cabinets? The wood is just too beautiful to cover up with paint and we don’t want to replace them. We currently have light tan colored carpet in the great room & similarly colored vinyl flooring in the kitchen with a “coffee with cream” color for the walls. Since the trim & cabinets are such a dark cherry color matching the color for the wood flooring seems like it would make the rooms feel too dark. I was thinking of a lighter maple wood similar in color to the current carpet but I’m not sure about mixing wood colors. Most of our wooden furniture is dark walnut or chocolate in color.

Hi Olivia,

There are times when mixing wood is "doable" but I really would urge you to either use the same wood flooring as the trim, or a darker (not a lighter) shade.  There are a couple of reasons; 1)  you appear to love the dark cherry stained trim and combined with your paint color you have  good contrast; 2)  putting a darker shade on the floor visually "grounds" or anchors the space(s).  

I appreciate your concern about using dark wood tones, but I fear you would not like having a lighter wooden floor.  It sounds as though your home is traditional in style and if so, using the coordinating wood floor makes sense.

There are woods out there that have the appearance of zebra wood and they have some contrasting wood slats in them, but my fear in recommending that to you is that it is extremely taste specific and would not add to your bottom line if you ever choose to sell the home.  

Thanks for writing me and for the question.  Hope I've helped you.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology