Decorating & Furniture/Living room / Dining room

Question
We just painted and decorated our living room and dining room. We took out a half wall that divided the living room from the dining room (was half wall on each side with a large archway between the half walls). It is now L shaped, painted a gold yellow with white chair rail, wainscoting, and crown molding. Our furniture is a deep red with an olive green. We put in darker, oak, 7 inch plank, hand scraped, hard wood floors and have area rugs that look like oriental rugs with the colors of the furniture in them.  We have dark, antique wood furniture so it really does look sharp.  My question is this. What kind of curtains / drapes would go with what we have? I have white, scalloped shades in the windows but I need some kind of treatment that would go with what we have. The look is on the formal side but not extremely formal -usable formal. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Answer
Hi Cheryl,

Your dining room and living room sound absolutely lovely. I would go with the clean simple lines of straight panels in a more formal fabric such as silk. Is the mechanism for the top of your shades already hidden by a valance? If not, you'd have to address that with a valance and straight panels.

If you'd prefer not to have custom work, I love Smith and Noble (.com) for ready made that can be customized to your preferences. Their design aesthetic seems like it matches your own.

Yours for a luxe life,
Susan Matthews

www.theluxelady.com  

Decorating & Furniture

Susan Matthews