Decorating & Furniture/Matching wall colur with curtains and furniture

I have more or less a blank canvass to work with. I want to paint living room walls a shade of green - lime or sage perhaps. Would it be best to break this colour up with another colour? Also what colour of curtains and furniture would you choose?

Hi Martin,

I happen to have a lime green room in my home. It lends itself to dark glossy woods such as cherry and mahogany or very light woods such as birch. I don't care for it with mid-tone woods such as oak/ Sage green works like a neutral and looks great with all woods.

I would pick at least three other coordinating colors to use in the room for fabric, furniture and accessories. Pull your wall color into the room by using it in throw pillows or throw blanket or as part of patterned curtains or upholstered furniture. The second color could be the main color of a patterned sofa (or go wit a solid-colored sofa in that second color). A third - the floor covering. The fourth color can be used as an accent and should appear in at least three places in the room.

A great resource is Benjamin Moore's "My Perfect Color" palettes. Find the shade of green you prefer and look at the colors they've coordinated with it.

Have fun with it.

Yours for a luxe life,
Susan Matthews

Decorating & Furniture

Susan Matthews

I'm here to help you create a luxe look by making the most of any room within any budget. I welcome questions about furniture placement, colors, style, accessories and more.

I am a guest host and lifestyle expert for QVC - the premier home shopping network. I'm trained in redesign which entails using what you already own to create a new look. I own Decorvention - a redesign company based in the Philadelphia area. My articles have been published in national and regional publications.

Philadelphia Style, Glamour, Success, Las Vegas Life and Style, Medical Life, Philadelphia Weddings and The Philadelphia Inquirer.

BA in Communications from Temple University and redesign certification from Temple University.

Philadelphia Press Award Marcom Award Writer's Digest Awards

Available upon request.