Decorating & Furniture/Mixing accessories, can we do it?

My boyfriend and I just purchased a new construction condo where we have had say on most of the cabinetry and finishes, but not all of them.  We have gone with a dark espresso cabinet throughout the condo and are now responsible for supplying the accessories (pulls, knobs, towel racks etc...)  The builders have already installed the faucets and shower heads, which are an oil rubbed bronze, so we were wondering if it would be okay to mix those oil rubbed bronze fixtures with a satin nickel accessory.  Would it be better to try to match our pulls and knobs to this finish, or do we have the liberty to add in some nickel in order to brighten the dark cabinets up? Thanks!

This is an issue for so many folks. My "rule" is to do what pleases your eye. The only issue will be resale. Some people might want everything matched. If you are going to be in this home for a long time, then go with your choice. If this is a short stay then consider matching the rubbed bronze.

Hope that helps.

Yours for a luxe life,
Susan Matthews

Decorating & Furniture

Susan Matthews

I'm here to help you create a luxe look by making the most of any room within any budget. I welcome questions about furniture placement, colors, style, accessories and more.

I am a guest host and lifestyle expert for QVC - the premier home shopping network. I'm trained in redesign which entails using what you already own to create a new look. I own Decorvention - a redesign company based in the Philadelphia area. My articles have been published in national and regional publications.

Philadelphia Style, Glamour, Success, Las Vegas Life and Style, Medical Life, Philadelphia Weddings and The Philadelphia Inquirer.

BA in Communications from Temple University and redesign certification from Temple University.

Philadelphia Press Award Marcom Award Writer's Digest Awards

Available upon request.