Decorating & Furniture/color of furniture

I'm in the process of moving into my first home and I don't know what color of furniture should I use when the floors are a dark wood floor and the wall is orange. What color of livingroom furniture should I use to make the house look spacious, comfortable and beautiful?

Hi Katie,

I can hear the excitement in your voice!  Congrats on moving to your first home.  

Unless you want the walls orange, I'd opt to paint them before moving in.  Orange is a strong color and one that takes center stage in a room.

Furnishings that work with orange are abundant: black, brown, taupe, white, and even some green or blue.  

You won't get a "comfortable" look with orange walls, but you could get a dramatic look by adding white furniture to the space.

Hope this helps you.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology