Decorating & Furniture/color/light

I have black appliances, tan brown granite countertop (black with light terra cotta swirls) Would cabinets in cordovan wiped stain on maple be too dark (Kitchen does not get much natural light) If so what would be a good color wood?

Hi Sharon,

I think the maple and stain will look nice with the color combination. A painted wood in a tan would also look nice and be a bit lighter. I wouldn't want to go to light with the cabinets because of the black appliances. It would create too much of a contrast. I think the most important thing is that you invest in excellent lighting for under cabinets and overhead. Bring in the artificial light.a

Yours for a luxe life,
Susan Matthews  

Decorating & Furniture

Susan Matthews

I'm here to help you create a luxe look by making the most of any room within any budget. I welcome questions about furniture placement, colors, style, accessories and more.

I am a guest host and lifestyle expert for QVC - the premier home shopping network. I'm trained in redesign which entails using what you already own to create a new look. I own Decorvention - a redesign company based in the Philadelphia area. My articles have been published in national and regional publications.

Philadelphia Style, Glamour, Success, Las Vegas Life and Style, Medical Life, Philadelphia Weddings and The Philadelphia Inquirer.

BA in Communications from Temple University and redesign certification from Temple University.

Philadelphia Press Award Marcom Award Writer's Digest Awards

Available upon request.