Decorating & Furniture/mis-matched flooring

I am having new flooring installed throughout most of our home. I am trying to have flooring installed that is in line with homes in our area as we may be selling our home in the next 5 years.  I plan to have the stairs and entire upstairs wall to wall carpeting in a neutral tone.  For consistency, should the carpet be the same for all rooms, hallway and stairs?  If it is open to choice, is it ok to do that from a re-sale point of view?
The downstairs is really my problem.  Most all homes in my area have hardwood floors throughout most of the home (even in kitchen/powder rooms).  With that in mind, it is my idea to go with mostly hardwoods downstairs.  The home is on a concrete slab at ground level and it is my understanding that if I want hardwood, I need to go with engineered wood flooring.  Currently my downstairs looks like a patchwork quilt.  I would like to get a more consistent floor plan for the downstairs, both for my appreciation and for re-sale value.
The front of the house is the dining room, foyer and living room.  All woodwork (trim, windows and crown molding) in these rooms is painted white.  The dining room also has a chair rail with judges paneling (all also white).
The dining room and foyer have a medium to dark hardwood parquet floor, in excellent condition, but I have been told in this area, it looks very dated and should be upgraded.  The living room has beige wall to wall carpeting.
The back of the house is the family room, powder room and kitchen w/breakfast room.  All woodwork (trim, doors, windows, bookshelves and crown molding) in these rooms is a medium colored stain, as are the kitchen cabinets.  The family room also has stained judges paneling and a beautiful mantel with judges paneling over the mantel.
The kitchen w/breakfast area has a 12 year old Armstrong vinyl floor (red mini brick pattern) in excellent condition but clashes with new granite counters, and it is dated.
The family room and powder room are all light beige carpeting.  The carpeting is about 6-7 years old and either needs to be thoroughly cleaned and stretched, or replaced.
I really like the engineered wood idea for the whole downstairs (all matching).  I hate the idea of tearing up perfectly good flooring (especially the wood parquet in excellent condition), but for esthetic reasons (and re-sale) think I need to.  To save money, I have also thought about just having the living room and maybe even the family room carpets cleaned and stretched, then making the kitchen/dining room/foyer and powder room all one matching engineered wood floor.  Ballpark measuring of the complete downstairs is about 1300 sq. ft.
My question is do you have any suggestions about conformity for flooring throughout the downstairs?  What would give me the best bang for my buck for popularity in re-sale?
Thank you for any suggestions you may have.

First of all, keep the carpeting the same throughout the carpeted space.  No one cares for carpet that starts or stops with every room.  Keeping it neutral is an excellent idea, and for resale, you may want to consider using a Berber or other short pile carpet.  Hallway, stairs, everything should be consistent.  

Hardwood is the popular choice and using it throughout the main floor of your home is definitely the way to go.  I would upgrade the parquet; it is considered a dated material.  Back to my original statement, the hardwoods on the main floor should all be the same.  

Best bang for the buck is hardwood, all the same style/color and the same for the upstairs carpeting.  Insulate your floors with a good water barrier layer and spring for the hardwood. Laminates are "ok" (I have it and have been sorry ever since I got it) but it's "obviously" a man-made material and for resale it will detract from your home and lessen your profit margin.

Thanks so much for writing and for your questions.  They're all good ones and many people don't take the time to think it all through thereby losing out on lots of resale cash.  The market is tough enough as is.  

PS:  Make sure your kitchens and bathrooms are as spotlessly clean and as up to date as you can afford.  Kitchens sell homes - no one can argue with that.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology