Decorating & Furniture/picking wood cabinets and floors

Hi, we are building a timber frame cabin that has douglas fir timbers and pine ceilings.  I'm trying to decide what kind of wood cabinets to put in the kitchen and what kind of wood we should pick for the floor.  I'm hoping to do all of it in natural un-stained woods.  Looking for ideas on what kind of woods would go good together.  We get lots of light.

Hi Nell,

You caught me at the perfect time! I've been reviewing timber frame home plans with my husband. You could go with knotty pine cabinets for a very rustic look that would coordinate beautifully with your ceiling. For the floor, since you get lots of light, I would go with an oak or cherry. The latter would show far more dust, though. Just like in the forest, different woods work beautifully together without much planning.

Enjoy that home!

Yours for a luxe life,
Susan Matthews

Decorating & Furniture

Susan Matthews

I'm here to help you create a luxe look by making the most of any room within any budget. I welcome questions about furniture placement, colors, style, accessories and more.

I am a guest host and lifestyle expert for QVC - the premier home shopping network. I'm trained in redesign which entails using what you already own to create a new look. I own Decorvention - a redesign company based in the Philadelphia area. My articles have been published in national and regional publications.

Philadelphia Style, Glamour, Success, Las Vegas Life and Style, Medical Life, Philadelphia Weddings and The Philadelphia Inquirer.

BA in Communications from Temple University and redesign certification from Temple University.

Philadelphia Press Award Marcom Award Writer's Digest Awards

Available upon request.