Decorating & Furniture/How to plan the space and place my furniture

Question
hi Jenny,

First of all I want to thank you for helping all of the readers here plan and design their dream homes.
I recently purchased my first house. Like most new homes, my living room and kitchen/dining room are all together on an open plan. The total space is a rectangular shape. A big portion of both north wall and east wall will have cabinets on and an island goes from east to west facing the south. There is a 60X20 window on the south wall closer to the ceiling. There is also the proposed dining area. The most issues that I have with the space is the west wall. There is a 24*60 window, a swing-in door to the deck, another 24*60 window, a fireplace and the third 24*60 window. Note that the back door faces directly and straight to the front door. If you could see the floor plan, it's like the top half of the rectangle is kitchen and dining, the bottom half is living room. I have way too many elements on the west wall. How do you suggest me to put my couch, coffee table, an entertainment cabinet and potentially a 46 inches LCD TV and a love seat. Also should I paint the west wall as the accent wall? It already has too many elements there... Thanks a lot for any suggestions that you can provide me..

Answer
Hi Howard,

If I read you correctly, the fireplace is on the west wall but actually in the living room  area, and there are two windows flanking the FP as well as a door to the deck.  Having said that, logic dictates that the couch should face the fireplace.  If you can, mount the television on the wall above the fireplace thereby eliminating the problem with two focal points in the space.  (The natural focal point here is the fireplace wall.)  

Here are my suggestions.  Place the sofa on the east wall and have the love seat at a right angle to that on the south wall.  Possibly the entertainment cabinet could sit at an angle on the southwest corner; at the end of the love seat.  The other option would be to float the love seat with its back toward the kitchen island.  The only problem I have with this arrangement is that you are basically cutting the space in two.  

Hope this helps you.  If you want to paint that west wall, make it a nice complementary neutral to the other colors you have going on in the room.  

Thanks for writing and for your question.  

Jenny  

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik