Decorating & Furniture/staircase wounder

hi jenny,i'm really stuck on the last room of my house, i have a beautiful full perana pine staircase with the hallway and landing to be fully re-decorated, i have choose colours, light fittings etc but have come to a fullstop over the entrance hall floor. carpet is not ideal and with a full perana pine staircase in place i'm thinking a wood floor look would... well be all to woody! if wood is the only option does it really have to be the same type of wood? i love the grey teak shipdeck look very much but its this colour matching thats driving me crazy!!          thanks! peter (manchester uk)

Hi Peter,

Wood is not the only option, but it is most likely your best option for the hallway and landing.  Woods do not have to be the same type, but should at the very least coordinate in color and texture.  

Compare a sample of different wood types/colors available from your hardwood supplier.  You will invariably find something beautiful and your problems will be solved.  As you select samples keep the perana pine in mind while still selecting wood tones that appeal to you.

Best wishes, and thanks for writing.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology