Decorating & Furniture/do I Accent or not?

stairs next to living
stairs next to living  
We just recently bought a new home and have to start painting.I wanted to know if I could do an accent wall and what color should I choose? my living room is large and L shaped with dining at the end of the L shape.and facing the dining is the kitchen which is seperated from living by a wall.I have laminate flooring in the light brown wood flooring pattern and a fireplace on one wall in living,done in brick.and adjacent to the fireplace wall is the staircase also done in the same laminate as living floor.i wasnt to accentuate the fireplace and the dining room wall so that I can  hang some family frames.could you suggest some paint colors? also, which brand of paint would be good? Im attaching a picture of my living room wall with fireplace.thank you so much.

Hi Nikhat,

Generally an accent wall is used as a focal point or to highlight an interesting piece of furniture or architectural detail.  Based on the photo you attached, I'd say paint the fireplace wall in the accent colour as it is already a natural focal point.  However, if TV-watching will be the main focus of the space, you might want to use the TV wall as your accent.

To help freshen the look of your new home, I'd suggest painting the wood mantle/surround of the fireplace white as well as all your wood trims.  Additionally, you could paint the stair risers white.  This will help to modernize the space with minimal effort.

I'm a little hesitant to suggest paint colours, as they will really be dependant on the furnishings, fabrics, art, etc. that you choose.  Paint should always be your last selection as it's what will tie all your other pieces together.

I'm not sure what paint is available in your area, but I often use C2, Para and Benjamin Moore and haven't had any problems with any of them.

Hope this helps!  Good luck!

Decorating & Furniture

Sarah Kidder

Ask me anything! I'm a formally trained decorator, am passionate about decorating and design and am pretty well rounded in all areas.

I'm a Certified Interior Decorator with a diploma in Interior Decorating from Algonquin College in Ottawa, Ontario. I'm a member in good standing of the Canadian Decorator's Association (CDECA). I've been active in the design industry for about 7 years. I've been working with private clients for the past 5 years while running my own decorating company.

Canadian Decorator's Association (CDECA)

Diploma in Interior Decorating

Currently working on a kitchen reno, a bathroom reno, and a bathroom design...and lots of colour consultations!