Decorating & Furniture/Curtain color

Question
Hi Sarah,

I'm having trouble deciding what color of curtains to go in my living room. I have Hunter green carpeting and taupe/peachy colored walls. My furniture is a sage colored sofa, two dark leather chairs and the end tables and coffee table are dark wood. I was going to be bold and hang Damask curtains but I'm too chicken.LOL... Anyway, I want the room airy and light. I had brick colored curtain previously but it felt like too Christmasy.

Your help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Sandy

Answer
Hi Sandy,

Why don't you try cream drapes?  Cream will keep the room light and won't introduce another colour into your scheme.  Just make sure that the cream colour you choose has the same undertones as the wall colour. For example, a muted (grayed-down) cream may look dirty against your wall colour.  A cream that's too yellow or green may make your walls VERY peach.  

Since you like damask, you could try a tone-on-tone damask in cream, taupe (slightly lighter or darker than your wall colour) or even a light sagey-green like the sofa. I would stick to variations of colours already in your palette.

Solid coloured drapes with a band of a solid (or lightly patterend) contrasting fabric sewn on to the inner edges can be striking too - if you're good with a sewing machine you can customize ready-to-hang drapes easily.  

Whatever colour or pattern you choose, make sure you carry it throughout the room with accessories, toss cushions, and artwork for a pulled together cohesive look.

Hope that helps! Good Luck!

Sarah  

Decorating & Furniture

Sarah Kidder