Decorating & Furniture/cinder brick walls in apartment

Question
Hello,
I am moving into a rented 2 bedroom apartment with cinder brick walls. How can I decorate - living room, bedrooms so the walls  won't be so noticeable. All floors are carpeted with Berber, except kitchen and bathroom.  Thank you so much.

Answer
Hi Bonnie,

Cinder block walls are definitely NOT attractive.  If you landlord is fine with painting, I'd use a mid-toned colour in a flat sheen paint.  Flat paints absorb light and hide imperfections.  Since cinder block is so textured, it won't make them disappear entirely, it will help to minimize the grooves and give the appearance of a smoother surface.

You can also wallpaper the walls.  Choose a paper that is thick and textured to help hide the brick joints.  Again, this isn't a perfect solution (really the only perfect solution is drywalling over the cinder brick, but I doubt that's an option!), but it will camouflage the bricks and give the walls a bit of interest.

Hanging art is going to be an issue, so I would suggest the 3M Command Adhesive Hooks.  They come in lots of shapes and sizes and according to their website, they will stick to painted cinder block.  Lots of interesting art grouped in a collage format or large pieces of art throughtout the appartment will also distract the eye from the walls.

Hope that helps! Good luck!

Sarah

Decorating & Furniture

Sarah Kidder