Decorating & Furniture/fireplace

I have been frustrated trying to accessorize this fireplace. Something seems off to me and I am not sure what it is. May I have your opinion.  Thanks"

Hi Elizabeth,

First, I must say you've done a beautiful job decorating the room so far. My suggestion would be to soften up the stone by adding a simple curtain panel to the outer side of each window.

I like all the accessories you've chosen but some work better than others. The vase and the candles are the appropriate scale and have the proper visual weight. The accessories on the mantle and the mirror don't pop enough and seem a bit small. Try a large painting/print that's darker and has a bit green or a larger round mirror.

Also, I can't tell from the photo whether or not there is a glass door on the fireplace. If it's just the black mesh curtain, I would look at decorative fireplace screens. They are a beautiful finishing touch and can transform a fireplace.

Yours for a luxe life,
Susan Matthews

Decorating & Furniture

Susan Matthews

I'm here to help you create a luxe look by making the most of any room within any budget. I welcome questions about furniture placement, colors, style, accessories and more.

I am a guest host and lifestyle expert for QVC - the premier home shopping network. I'm trained in redesign which entails using what you already own to create a new look. I own Decorvention - a redesign company based in the Philadelphia area. My articles have been published in national and regional publications.

Philadelphia Style, Glamour, Success, Las Vegas Life and Style, Medical Life, Philadelphia Weddings and The Philadelphia Inquirer.

BA in Communications from Temple University and redesign certification from Temple University.

Philadelphia Press Award Marcom Award Writer's Digest Awards

Available upon request.