Decorating & Furniture/floor choice

Question
We just painted our bedroom a sage green color.  We have a white chair rail that separates the room.  The baseboards and doors are cherry as well as the furniture.  We are wanting to install laminate flooring but are unsure of what color to choose.

Answer
Hi Sarah,

A few things to consider when choosing your floor: What is the flooring in the adjacent space(s)? (hall, other rooms ,etc.) Are you planning to move in the next few years?  Are you planning to change your bedroom furniture?

If you aren't moving, and are keeping your existing furniture, try a slightly lighter cherry shade than your baseboards and doors.  This way the tones will coordinate and won't fight each other.  You could also go darker, but darker floors show more dust and can be quite heavy.  In either case, a large area rug will soften the space and pull your palette together.

If you're planning to move, why don't you install carpet?  It's softer on bare feet getting out of bed and you can get decent quality for a good price.  Laminate can also be noisy and hollow-sounding - something to consider for night-time trips to the bathroom.

Hope this helps!  Good luck!

Decorating & Furniture

Sarah Kidder