Decorating & Furniture/furniture color

We are moving to a new and significantly larger home.  We have very nice furniture in our current living room now that we would like to use in our new home.  We will most likely be spreading out the pieces to different areas of the home.  If our furniture has deep burgundy/red color in it, what color would you recommend adding when we buy new pieces to accent it?  We like the color, red, however, do not want it to be overbearing.  The current sofa is actually a caramel color with red decorative pillows.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Dear Brenda,

With red/burgundy you have a lot of choices and it's a wonderful cozy color. It really works well in many palettes. I usually combine it with other jewel tones such as greens and dk blues (navy or sapphire). Also, I usually choose one or two neutrals for that palette such as a gold or tan (in your case the caramel sofa).

Yours for a luxe life,
Susan Matthews

Decorating & Furniture

Susan Matthews

I'm here to help you create a luxe look by making the most of any room within any budget. I welcome questions about furniture placement, colors, style, accessories and more.

I am a guest host and lifestyle expert for QVC - the premier home shopping network. I'm trained in redesign which entails using what you already own to create a new look. I own Decorvention - a redesign company based in the Philadelphia area. My articles have been published in national and regional publications.

Philadelphia Style, Glamour, Success, Las Vegas Life and Style, Medical Life, Philadelphia Weddings and The Philadelphia Inquirer.

BA in Communications from Temple University and redesign certification from Temple University.

Philadelphia Press Award Marcom Award Writer's Digest Awards

Available upon request.