Decorating & Furniture/granite countertops

Question
My husband wants to make our island in the kitchen a different color and design than the other countertops.  The island is very large and the color he wants is in the other granites design but they are different patterns.  Do people do different granites in the kitchen and if so is there a place I can go to see pics?

Answer
Two tone kitchen
Two tone kitchen  
Hi Jennifer,

People absolutely do that!  There aren't really any "rules" with decorating anymore - if it looks good, is functional and makes the homeowner happy, then do it!

Often people will reverse their colours with a two-toned design.  For example: cream cabinetry for the main run with dark counters, then dark cabinetry with cream counters for the island.  You can also use the same counter throughout and choose another colour just for the island cabinets (like slate blue, or green - though this is more of a country look).  

When doing a two-toned kitchen you need to have uniting factors throughout the space and be careful you're not choosing granite patterns that fight each other.  You might even want to try quartz counters in a solid colour on the main run of cabinetry as it's got a very consistent pattern(or nearly no pattern), and a granite on the island that has a lot of colour and movement (this will become the focal point).  A backsplash tile that incorporates the cabinet colours, counters, and flooring will help to unite everything.  

I'd really suggest working with an accredited designer or decorator for your project, as it can be overwhelming and sometimes difficult trying to coordinate multiple stones for your counters and multiple cabinet colours.  It's a big expense to make a mistake with.

Try Images on Google for: two-tone kitchens, kitchens, kitchen islands, etc. and you should find some pictures.

Hope that helps!  Good luck!

Sarah

Decorating & Furniture

Sarah Kidder